Fort Mitchel on Hilton Head Island has joined 1,400 other sites in South Carolina included on the National Register of Historic Places. The national program coordinates and supports public and private efforts to identify, evaluate and protect America’s history and archeological resources. Fort Mitchel was constructed during the Civil War after Union troops captured Hilton Head in 1861, and it served as a defense against Confederate raids until 1868. The remains of the fort were discovered in 1972 during the construction of Old Fort Pub, and the land was deeded to the Hilton Head Island Historical Society.
- Font Size
- Reading Mode