If Old Town is the heart of Bluffton, the May River is its soul.
The meandering 15-mile long river, just south of Old Town Bluffs, has been an integral part of Bluffton since it was established as a formal town in 1825.
The river, which unlike most rivers, has no high ground headwaters that feed fresh water from upper streams and creeks.
Instead it depends on tidal shifts that flush it out with saltwater from its down river mouth at the Calibogue Sound and the Atlantic Ocean.
This flow has helped make the May River an oasis for oysters, shrimp, crabs and saltwater fin fish.