Most area churches are available only to members and their families for weddings, although a few will perform the ceremony for non-members for a fee. If you decide you want a traditional church ceremony, contact the church office to inquire about availability and any special requirements. Some ministers will ask that the couple participate in one or more pre-marriage counseling sessions.
Home or Home Away from Home
If you are fortunate enough to live in the Lowcountry, your own home could provide the perfect setting for your wedding—a staircase, your backyard, a garden, the pool deck…
Couples from other areas can still have a home-style ceremony by renting a house. From a beachfront mansion to a cottage on the river—indoors or out—you’ll find the perfect spot to stage your wedding. Contact a local rental agency for desired sites and availability.
Hotels, Country Clubs, Plantations and Resorts
The Lowcountry is blessed with many fine hotels, clubs, plantations and resorts which are equipped to accommodate large parties and provide many services in-house. Most area hotels employ fulltime event specialists who can put you in touch with reputable vendors and help coordinate all the details. From a five-star oceanfront hotel to an elegant inn, you’ll find just what you’re looking for on Hilton Head Island and beyond. A few to consider include: the Crowne Plaza Resort; Hilton Head Island Beach and Tennis Resort; Hilton Oceanfront Resort; Marriott’s Barony Beach Club; Marriott Beach and Golf Resort; the Westin Hotel; the Inn at Harbour Town; Main Street Inn; the Inn at Melrose and the Inn at Palmetto Bluff.
In addition to the stylish hotels and plush inns, many area plantations offer other unique settings and accommodations to celebrate your marriage. Private plantations typically limit the use of their club facilities to members and their families. However, several are open to the public and some are available by owner sponsorship. Here are just a few of the many choices:
- Colleton River: Dye Clubhouse**; Nicklaus Clubhouse**
- Daufuskie Island Resort: Daufuskie Ballroom; Calibogue Salon; Sportsman’s Lodge and Equestrian Center; Oceanfront Gazebo; Island House Lobby; Beach Club; First Union African Baptist Church
- Hilton Head Plantation: Windows on the Waterway; Plantation House and Spring Lake Pavilion*; Country Club of Hilton Head**
- Long Cove: Long Cove Club*
- Palmetto Dunes: Dunes House
- Port Royal: Dolphin Head Beach House*
- Rose Hill: Rose Hill Mansion
- Sea Pines Resort: Sea Pines Beach Club; the Liberty Oak, the 18th green of Harbour Town Golf Links; Plantation Club Terrace; the Harbour Town Lighthouse
- Shipyard: Shipyard Beach House*
- Spanish Wells: Spanish Wells Clubhouse**
- Wexford: Wexford Country Club*
*property owners/members only
**residential sponsorship required
Other unique wedding venues include: Honey Horn, available by contacting Robin Swift at the Coastal Discovery Museum, (843) 689-6767, Ext. 224; a variety of cruise boats, available by contacting area marinas; and hot air balloons, available by calling (800) 791-5867.
You can preview most of the above-mentioned venues on the Internet. For more information and unbiased advice, rely on your wedding coordinator to help you select just the right setting to match the size and style of your wedding and the associated events you will be hosting.