Once your engagement is announced, the planning process begins. This timeline will help keep you on track when it comes to planning a stress-free wedding. (Yes, it’s possible, right?)
One year or more
- Announce your engagement.
- Meet with both families to discuss budget, style, priorities and dates.
- Start looking at the ceremony and reception sites.
- Start looking at wedding gowns.
- Start interviewing florists, caterers, entertainers and photographers/videographers.
- Select and invite attendants.
- Select your ceremony officiant.
- Create a new email address just for wedding correspondence.
- Attend a bridal show.
- Set up your gift registry.
- Reserve your reception site.
- Reserve your caterers.
- Finalize your guest list.
- Decide on the invitations.
- Decide on your entertainment.
- Plan your engagement party
- Start thinking about your honeymoon.
- Start planning your menu.
- Order the invitations.
- Shop for the bridal party dresses.
- Shop for the rings.
- Book your honeymoon and make passport arrangements, if necessary.
- Order the wedding cake.
- Shop for bridal party gifts.
- Reserve formalwear for the groomsmen.
- Confirm orders with the florist, entertainers and reception site.
- Set up the bridal gift registry.
- Make any special arrangements for the wedding party, like spa treatments or hair and makeup appointments.
- Reserve blocks of hotel rooms for out-of-town guests.
- Plan all parties, showers and luncheons
- Address and send invitations.
- Book transportation.
- Choose all music for the ceremony and reception.
- Determine ceremony protocol.
- Confirm ceremony details with participants.
- Purchase bridal party gifts.
- Finalize rehearsal dinner plans and reception menu.
- Design and print wedding programs.
- Arrange fittings for the bridal party.
- Submit wedding announcement to local media.
- Choose all accessories.
- Sit for bridal portrait.
- Write thank-you notes for any gifts received.
- Apply for your marriage license.
- Send rehearsal dinner invitations.
- Draft a seating chart, if necessary, for the reception.
- Finalize details with all hired professionals.
- Finalize jewelry.
- Complete floor and seating plans for the reception.
- Wrap gifts for everyone involved.
- Start working on speeches and toasts.
- Finalize the receiving line.
- Pick up formalwear and ensure it fits appropriately.
- Make sure passports and marriage license are in hand.
- Pack for the honeymoon.
- Pamper yourself with a massage, manicure and pedicure.
- Put rings and license in a safe place.
- Attend rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
- Pack wedding-day items.
- Pay the vendors.
- Give gifts to attendants.
- Deliver bridal clothing and honeymoon clothing to the reception venue or staging area.
- Have hair styled and makeup applied.
- Review your checklist.
- Have candid pre-wedding pictures taken.
- Get dressed.
- Enjoy your special day.