With so many great restaurants, eating out is one of the top things to do for both visitors and locals. And there’s no reason why it can’t be healthy eating.
Here are a few tips to follow for eating healthy when eating out:
- As a beverage choice, ask for water or order fat-free or low-fat milk, unsweetened tea, or other drinks without added sugars.
- Ask for whole-wheat bread for sandwiches.
- In a restaurant, start your meal with a salad packed with veggies, to help control hunger and feel satisfied sooner.
- Ask for salad dressing to be served on the side. Then use only as much as you want.
- Choose main dishes that include vegetables, such as stir fries, kebobs, or pasta with a tomato sauce.
Here are some great healthy menu options you can find at local restaurants:
Alfred’s Restaurant: Roasted Chilean Sea Bass: Served with fresh spinach with chardonnay sauce. $29.95
Bomboras Grille: Black-eyed Pea Salad: Pan seared black-eyed pea cakes, arugula salad mix, lemon vinaigrette and a curry mayo drizzle. $11. Available lunch and dinner.
Bistro 17: Wild Salmon: Peppered mustard, mixed greens, pine nuts, dried cranberries, red onions and Roquefort.
Captain Woody’s: Saltwater Fish Salad: Choice of magi, flounder, salmon or grouper grilled or fried over large garden or caesar. $10.99.
Charbar Co.: Perfect Portabello: Portabello cap on house-made focaccia with roasted red peppers, grilled onions, arugula and goat cheese. $10.
Charlie’s L’etoile Verte: Charlie’s Chicken Salad: Chunks of white chicken, dried cranberries, apples, celery and pecans, served on a bed of greens. $10.
ELA’s Blu Water Grille: Pear Arugula Salad: Gorgonzola, almonds, shallots and horseradish dressing. $9.